August 30, 2008

They say the scent of roses can be found in a word... - GBMD September

Photobucket




they show me words

they say

the scent of roses can be found in a word


but all I find is paper paper and more paper neither

fragrance

nor color


and I know that a spray of sparks

when workers are welding streetcar rails

while we stand around two ten-year-old boys and I

that spray of sparks

means light much more

than the word light

and when my friend paralyzed in a wheelchair

bites off a piece of bread I hand to him

the way he bends his head

the movement of his jaws

have more life in them

than the word life


Garden Bloggers' Muse Day is hosted kindly by Carolyn Gail at Sweet Home and garden Chicago.

9 comments:

Katarina said...

That's a lovely poem, Ewa - and a beautiful photoof roses!
/Katarina

chaiselongue said...

Thank you, Ewa, for introducing me to a poet I didn't know before. The poem says a lot about the impossible but necessary struggle to make real meaning from mere words. I shall look for more poems by Halina Poswiatowska.

Victoria Cummings said...

Beautiful roses and beautiful poem. Dziekuje,

Claude said...

A lovely poem, I will have to look for more from this poet. Thank you for sharing this...

Barbara said...

I love poems, and I love this one...as well as the the yellow rose (with or without fragrance!).
Have a nice Sunday, Ewa!
Barbara

emmat said...

I'd love to know how it sounded in Polish! It reminds me a bit of William Carlos Williams - very simple but profound

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I like this poem Ewa. I can't smell with words. Sometimes I can see with words though. I love your photo of yellow roses. My favorite rose are the yellow ones. Maybe because I don't see them as much as the red ones.

Shady Gardener said...

Thank you for posting this poem. I'm not familiar with her work. Is this rose from your garden? Have a great day! :-)

Admin said...

Hi Ewa, this is the first time I have visited your blog. I found Poswiatowska's Wikipedia biography very interesting. What a short and tragic life and such an influential figure. I can almost feel her bitterness in the sharp words.

KEEP READING - MORE GREAT STUFF IN OLDER POSTS