December 31, 2007

Oldest olive tree and first olive grove in UK

After making post about my olive trees in pots being still outside, I made some research on this subject. As result I found interesting blog about olives in general.

My search of oldest olive tree shows that it might be one in Zakynthos (Greece).

Zakynthos-Exo Hora/oldest olive tree

The one in Crete also seems to be over 1000 years - but how much over?

In Portugal there is also one.

One info made me worried little bit. Global warming endangers olive grovs. According to Turkish Daily News due to lowering underground waters and sand coming from over Sahara, the harvesting this year was predicted decrease by 40%.

Interesting enough there is also news about growing olive trees commercially in UK, but also as decorative plant in the UK gardens.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen old olive tree in Vatican Garden in Roma.
Happy new year 2008!

FO - 2 said...

Just stopping by to wish you a nice New Year`s Eve.
HAPPY NEW YEAR! :)

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Happy New Year 2008 Ewa Best wishes from Tyra in Vaxholm

Ewa said...

Hannele,
Yes, I have heard of that olive tree in Vatican, but I didn't see it. I also couldn't find picture of it in the net. Maybe you have one?

Hannele, Ida and Tyra Happy New Year to you!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

That is one gnarly looking tree. It is a worry and a wonder how gardens and gardening will change with global warming.

Happy New Year Ewa

teresa g. said...

My country is so silly as to sell our oldest trees that are no longer productive to other country's gardens.

It was very interesting to read about your olive trees, I believe you know more about olive trees than me! I hope you can have your olives next year!

Ewa said...

Lisa,
That olive trees story made me think again :) oh no! Whenever I start to think about it I do worry. This is why I have decided to work on my habits to leave the smallest footprint possible :)

Jardineira aprendiz,
I am always wondering where from come these huge olive trees available at sale. I guess it is not only Portugal :)
I have red also that in Greece, in some poorer farmers are selling it, cos of difficult economic state.
Most weird place I saw olive trees here in Poland, it was in Carrefour as decoration - they used huge olive trees (body must have at least 1,5m in diameter). They dissapeared after 6 months, cos they didnt look that nice after standing in shadow all day.

Whyite said...

Looks like he is content on staying in the box.

Happy 2008

Ewa said...

Hello Curtis,
Welcome on my blog :)
He definitely liked it.
Happy Blogging to you :)

Lynda Lehmann said...

What an interesting post and such a gorgeous, old and gnarled olive tree!

It's awful how global warming can change everything on our planet! Thanks for adding to our awareness.

Realista said...

The oldest olive tree is in Italy in Rieti province it is around 1500 years old.

KEEP READING - MORE GREAT STUFF IN OLDER POSTS