August 5, 2008

Deadly Hot Pepper and Heaven' Scent

capsicum+metalhanger
How to recycle metal hanger? Use it for drying the gifts of your garden :) My first capsicum crop. Surprisingly abundant, isn't it? I was not expecting that many. In total I have 5 plants, but not all of them equally contributed to this crop. The longer sun exposure, the hottest spot, the happier the plant. Those growing in pots seem to be more happy than those growing directly in the soil.

2 plants are growing in the beds in half-sun spots. One of them gave just one pepper, second one grew one, but it is still green. So in reality 3 plants gave me 8 peppers. They grow in pots, placed in the hottest spot of the garden.

What surprises me most is the number of coming produce. On one of the plants I counted 11 of new arrivals!
Photobucket
First capsicum crop is like first love. Unforgettable. I have sown the seeds in January and I am planning to overwinter them. 'Cyklon' - the name tells it all. Really as hot, as the name can tell. I decided it will be best to dry it and crush for winter. As I saw in Mediterranean - they dry it on the sun. So, to dry vegetables or fruits you don't need a special dehydrator. Drying on the sun is natural, free and adds special flavour.

Old metal hanger - that is always in excessive amount at home gets great new life :) It is important to place dried peppers in hot oven 140C for 30 minutes to make sure it is healthy and free of any unwanted guests. More information about drying fruits and vegetables you will find here. Next one will be tomatoes - I will dry them on the sun in a little more protected way, but still on the sun :)


PhotobucketLavender, my second big Favourite will be slowly gone, so in the last moment I decided to do something about it.
Photobucket
I collected flowers and stems of the most aromatic lavender, which is Lavandula officinalis. This is the kind of lavender, that is planted in Provance/South France at lavender farms, because it is most valuable in essential oils and aroma.
Inspired by Yolanda-Elizabeth at Bliss - thank you :) I made the wreath - it is lovely, right? As Yolanda promised it is easy - even if it was my first one - so, anyone can do it. I used little thicker cotton grey thread and metal wire. It smells wonderful!
The afternoon when you seat in the shadow, on the hot day and work with lavender surrounded by its amazing heaven' scent is the moment that will stay with me for long days...
This is one of those moments that nourish the soul in uncredible way - this feeds my soul and creativity. I always get best ideas, after I feed that hungry energy inside.

Photobucket
Now I look for the best place for it to hang. The smell is very sweet, even after lavender have dried.
Photobucket

32 comments:

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Your first grown hot peppers look great so healthy and attractive with their shiny red skin. I grow Jalapenos which suit me best as I make Chilli jam and they are not overly hot so they have a nice bite.) The Lavender wreath looks very charming and will give you pleasure with its lovely scent into winter.

Country French Antiques said...

How clever!
Beautiful photography here and I would love to spend time in your garden!
Merci for stopping by my blog!
Looks like I've found another wonderful blog from Poland!
A small world afterall.
Have a beautiful day!

Unknown said...

Such beautiful photographs,and those peppers look like a painting. I love what you did with the Lavender, I can only imagine the lovely aroma while you created this lovely wreath. Karen

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Those peppers seem too pretty to eat. Just wonderful.

Claude said...

I never used wire hangers to dry my peppers... we always just strung them using a needle and thread through the stems to make 'rastas' that we hung under the eaves of the house to dry. The lavendar will be quite nice, and should keep it's scent for years.

Katarina said...

Your lavendar wreath is lovely! And the red hot peppers look great. I'm sure they are very tasteful...and hot!
/Katarina

Victoria Cummings said...

Lavender and red chili peppers - I love them both! Two things that really are good for the soul - they look beautiful together in the basket.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Ewa! We both are focused this week on HOT STUFF! Chiles and capsicum. Now capiscum I would find more intriguing to grow than chiles, I think. Maybe next year. They are beautiful! And this is a lavender I'm not familiar with. I must pay attention. I love their little blue flowers. Very sweet wreath. And beautiful, lovely, wonderful photo of the reds and blues! Bravo!

Hugs!

Unknown said...

Hi there, this is intereting. I never use my hangers for anything other than hanging clothes..never did dry chillies as well..maybe I should.

Anonymous said...

Your peppers look fantastic, mine don't seem to want to go red yet.

Anonymous said...

Your photos look great! I enjoyed reading this, thank-you!

Here, There, Elsewhere... and more said...

I LOVE your blog - great photos and your hot peppers look a great deal better than mine..!

Unknown said...

Oh, I love the combination of red peppers and lavender, Ewa! That was just amazing to look at. And the wreath...I have lavender envy, now. Mine is still flowering but not so profusely that I could make a wreath. Oh well. There's always next year....

Gail said...

Hello Ewa, your peppers are beautiful...such a hot color! Now if my lavender would ever bloom I will try the wreath!

Gail

Darla said...

Found you via M.Kate's blog. We like spicy food so your peppers wouldn't last long at our house. The wreath is so pretty and like someone else said, the scent will no doubt last a long time.

Darla - in No. CA, USA

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

oooh they are beauteous. Can you store them in oil?

Anonymous said...

The peppers are so beautiful and the basket with peppers and lavender is art.

Robin said...

Helo Ewa, I found your lovely blog on "Country French Antiques" blog and I am so glad she is sending us here. Your photos are beautiful, I can smell the lavender wreath from the US!

Anonymous said...

A great idea of using a metal hanger. I'm bowled over by your photos.The wreath is gorgeous!

Tira said...

very colorful and lovely pictures! Its great you can grow hot peppers in your climate. The lavender is also nice-so many culinary and household uses.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

The red of the peppers is so brilliant and wonderful! Your photos have captured them so beautifully. I like the contrast of the cool lavender with the hot peppers.

Cindy

chaiselongue said...

Beautiful peppers! I'm going to hang some of mine to dry in the sun today. I hadn't thought of using a coathanger - I usually thread them with a needle into a loose bunch and hang them on a beam in the sunniest place in the garden. I've still got a few of last year's left, so they keep well.
I like your Cicero quote above - I absolutely agree!!!
I'm glad to have found your blog - I hoep you'll visit mine too. All the best.

Minerva said...

Do you know that capsicum takes away arthritis pain? Seriously. It could do it two ways: you can rub it directly on the skin over the arthritic joint and the burning sensation of your skin will take your mind completely off the arthritis pain. ;-) The doctor recommended method is easier on you, though. You use it in a cream or a compress over a well creamed skin. I used to have some arthritis in my ankles, a couple of years ago. My doctor prescribed these capsicum compresses ( I lived in Texas, hot, hot, hot country!), since he did not think my thin northern European skin could take the direct treatment... and since then I had no more pain there ever.

Anonymous said...

Love your lavender wreath. Wonderful idea. I'm still harvesting my crop.

Lovely hot peppers too.

Boxwood Cottage said...

Hi Ewa,

thanks for the comment you left on my blog and your compliments.

Love your french lavender wreath!

About the feed, I don't know what is wrong, I set it on showing full feed but it is just not working. I had complaints about that before and I still try to find out what's wrong. As long as the feed subscribing doesn't work I could only suggest that we exchange links in our side bars?

Anywy thanks for letting me know!

Best wishes from Germany to Poland sends

Carola

Kate said...

Hello Ewa, thanks for dropping by to my blog and I am really pleased to put you on my list too. It is so much fun reading about what people are doing in other countries in their vegetable and herb gardens.

Anonymous said...

Ewa, those photos of your peppers are just stunning. I am so impressed by your pepper crop. They're easy to grow in Oklahoma, but I think would be more challenging in your climate. Great photos.~~Dee

Boxwood Cottage said...

Ewa thanks for the add! I added you to my blogroll too!
Have a lovely day!
Carola

Pat said...

Your so creative and a wonderful photographer. So glad I found your blog. You are a keeper.

Dog_geek said...

Great looking peppers! They bring back memories - my father used to dry peppers on a wire hanger and crush them. Mmmmm!

joey said...

What a delightful colorful post, Ewa, perfect for the season. Your photos ... outstanding!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Hi Ewa, loved the wreath, well done you!!! And i loved the idea for re-use of an old coathanger too. I've sown peppers too but so far no peppers on my plants (the slugs eat them). Guess they like it hot! :-)

KEEP READING - MORE GREAT STUFF IN OLDER POSTS