August 22, 2014

8 photos of impossible cactus gardening outdoor in temperate climate, Szczecin, Poland

In fact I want to share with you the concept of impossible is nothing. We are surrounded with  mystery, wildness and immanence.

You may not believe me. 'Cactus gardening outdoor in Poland' - I know. Still remember that recently I was also saying pretty often 'I don’t believe you' – and although that was rather teasing trials, time has shown I shouldn’t have – but who knows in advance?

This time you may really not believe me, but what could I do about it? I can only show you what I saw with my own eyes. When I have entered that garden and I saw it, I was repeating for the first 15 minutes: ‘This is impossible! This is impossible... This is impossible… You must be kidding me… Nooo… How comes?’

Seeing cactuses growing in the garden in Poland, where the temperature in the winter drops to -25C/-13F, is like seeing a miracle.

This is also not the case of cactuses planted there since spring this year - that was my first suspicion. Second suspicious thought… the owner brings all of them indoor for the winter. None of the cases.

They grow there already 4 years!


The owner of the garden, Andrzej Szulc, managed to create such conditions that the temperature vulnerable cactuses and succulents are able to survive not only harsh Polish winter  condition, but also excessive rain  and little sun.

The cactus bed is placed in a sunny and cosy corner at the house wall, which keeps the warmth and away from strong winds. The soil is also prepared properly for succulents...

Could you believe this is possible? I wouldn’t if I have not seen it with my own eyes…

Look by yourself...




IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING...
See also Succulents Simplified: Growing, Designing, and Crafting with 100 Easy-Care Varieties





See also Succulents Simplified: Growing, Designing, and Crafting with 100 Easy-Care Varieties

7 comments:

Gabriel T. said...

Wow that is really something ! I will have to try this some day ! They look incredible ! Do you know any other details what did he do besides placing them near the house and a proper soil ?

Ewa said...

Hello Gabriel,
No I don't know any more secrets about this miraculous cactus plantation :)
Where are you located?

Claude said...

The real secret is proper choice of plants... some cactus and succulents are extremely winter hardy, and the re are some that can handle wet conditiins too. Im willing to bet that the bed is slightly raised, and under the soil there is a layer of stones and broken pottery to provide drainage. A beautiful and interesting little feature for your part of the world.

Ewa said...

Hey Claude, nice to see you around :) yes, you are right - the bed is raised. Not sure what's under the soil layer. Even if there is no stone layer, it would be a good idea to make it.

Gabriel T. said...

I'm from Romania, the climate is almost the same as in Poland, maybe just a little different. Anyway great article Ewa. Thank you for sharing this !

Ewa said...

Thank u for taking your time and commenting :)

Cyn Rogalski said...

Beautiful garden & pictures!

KEEP READING - MORE GREAT STUFF IN OLDER POSTS