February 9, 2010

Long winter - 40 days under snow

This year they were right - this is long winter. We are constantly under snow for more than 40 days already and weather forcast says there is no clear end visible yet. My 70 years old mom predicts, that snow will stay at least until half of March.
Picture was taken early morning, when I jumped out the house to pick up some documents from friend, that is kind enough to drive by in this tough winter conditions.
I have read recently very interesting article in NYT about people who live in chilly conditions - hop over to not miss it.
After moving 6 years ago from the city to countryside, low temperatures was something most difficult to get used to - chill sneaking everywhere is so different from overheated city appartments, but I guess it is better for health and beauty.
I remember a story about very famouse and very beautiful Polish general's wife (General Zajaczek), living in XIX century. Her beauty and number of young lovers was legandary. When she was asked, how being over 70 she is able to keep such great condition and maintain her beauty, she used to say that she always sleeps in cold bedroom with buckets filled with ice placed under her bed.
Ha? Can you beat that?

12 comments:

chaiselongue said...

I can't imagine 40 days of snow! Keep warm until spring comes ... it will!

Pat said...

OMG 40 days and counting.

Somehow snow/cold might be good but can't possibly figure out why.

Chrissie said...

40 days of snow is a long winter but I hope your garden will do well because of it. We have had many pests in our garden (slugs) and I am hoping not to have so many this year. Stay warm :-)

Mia said...

ho,ho.. finally a good reason as to why scandinavians are so beautiful ;) and I have never enjoyed my garden free from snow in mars... so no need for icebuckets underneath my bed :)

Jan said...

My heavens, that's a lot of days...I hope it clears out for you soon! We're having the 'blizzard of the century' here in the mid-Atlantic, and I will be happy to see it LEAVE:-) Stay warm!

Brotbaecker said...

Ein sehr schöner Blog. Wundervolle Bilder, trotz 40 Tagen im Schnee!!!
Herzliche Grüße sendet Der Brotbaecker

Darla said...

I just won't be so beautiful or have many lovers...lol!

Entangled said...

40 days.........

I hope your mother is wrong and it melts before March.

We just set a new record for snow with our latest storm yesterday. Over 70 inches total for the season, but our December snow was mostly melted before our February snow started.

Victoria Cummings said...

Now that I know that all this snow and cold will keep me beautiful, I'll have a change of heart about it! Lovely photo of you - the weather obviously agrees with you.

Anonymous said...

RE: NY TIMES:Ludzie, którzy mieszkają Lower East Side w wydają się być dziwne. To było bardzo zimno i śnieg, gdzie mieszkam też (Nebraska)

Babara said...

I didn't count all the days with snow and ice that we had (and are still having) this winter. But I know it is a hard and long winter. However, somehow I like it. I like to be outside, warmly dressed, when it is snowing and to feel all these little flakes on my face. And I like to see my garden in a white dress, covering everything that I failed to do in the past year. But I am also looking forward to the warmer season, to Spring, which will hopefully come in a few weeks. Let's wait and see.
Have a good time and stay warm, Ewa!
Barbara

Dirty Girl Gardening said...

Wow.. you must have plenty of great garden books to pass the time.

KEEP READING - MORE GREAT STUFF IN OLDER POSTS