April 6, 2010

Hydrangea propagation easiest way

Hydrangea paniculata "Limelight" 1 year old
While pruning hydrangea paniculata Limelight last year - I looked at the cuttings and thought it is a total waste just to send it to hydrangea's heaven. Why not to try to have even more Limelights? I cut them into 20 cm pieces, made sure there are at least 2-3 pairs of buds - and just like this, stucked them into pot filled with plain garden soil. No tricks. No gimmicks. No growth hormone. Niente. Nothing.
Why 2 pairs of buds? 1 pair above the soil, so it can grow leaves, 1-2 pairs in the soil for growing roots. It was 8 cuttings in total. All of them started to grow in 2 months. 
This baby one on the picture will be send tomorrow in exchange for comfrey (Symphytum o.) - I hope she will have good travel.
Comfrey is very valuable source of fertility in the organic garden. Great source of potassium - important element for setting fruits, seeds and flowers. Comfrey leaves contain 2-3 times more potassium than manure.

11 comments:

F Cameron said...

Wonderful instructions! I wish the deer wouldn't eat hydrangea. I used to grow many varieties at a previous home. I'm trying to hide ONE from the deer!

Naturegirl said...

Ewa what a great tip! Thank you for sharing! I'm now on the lookout for tossed away limelight branches from fellow gardeners!

Gilly in Ariège said...

A useful tip about taking hydrangea cuttings - I had thought they would be mire difficult than that. I love comfrey, they are so useful, grow so fast and look good too.

Darla said...

Good job..I have rooted hydrangeas in water before..

Unknown said...

that would explain why mine never grew any roots...2 pairs of buds you say...I get it now...try again Kathryn...

Sandy W said...

Thanks Ewa for the tips. When do you think will be a good time to do the cuttings?

Ewa said...

Sandy, the best time for H. paniculata will be when the plant is still dormant. Before leaves start to appear. If the buds are little open - I think you may still try.
Books say the best time for paniculata propagation is summer - which probably is also possible, but as you can see my winter cuttings did pretty well :)

Babara said...

Most of my hydrangeas (not the new sorts like Endless Summer) I also propagated this way. I'm always astonished how easily they start to get roots. Last autumn (!) I tried with a sort which is growing in the garden of my MIL. And this summer I can already see the first flower from the tiny plant (still in a pot until next Spring).
Summer greetings from
Barbara

Kathy said...

I do love hydrangea for their sheer endurance and lovely bloom. I have one limelight and haven't had any luck with cuttings. I will give your water rooting method a try. Thanks for sharing. Kathy

Ewa said...

Kathy,
This worked for me with mophead hydrangea. Limelight is h. paniculata and I have not tried water method with them.
The key to success with limelight to try with cuttings made before the plant shows any signs of waking up in the spring and keeping them in constantly moist soil.
Happy gardening!

Unknown said...


merci merci vous êtes formidable....je suis un apprenti un débutant dans le jardinage et j'ai apprécié tous vos conseils.Merci pour sens de partage.

KEEP READING - MORE GREAT STUFF IN OLDER POSTS