March 7, 2015

Dracaenas roots. Is this normal?


No wonder dracaenas were called female dragon (from greek). Look what a surprise and how strong that plant is. Recently I had noticed that the pot is standing somehow not straight. I took a closer look and see what I have discovered. This amazingly strong and persistent root is trying to conquer the world! I need to learn from it…
I assure you , I was watering and feeding it well. Why does it come out like that? Isn’t it scary? At least a bit?

Recommended reading Exotic Planting for Adventurous Gardeners

1 comment:

Claude said...

Oh yes, its normal. Many draceneas,and a few other tropicalsl plants, will do this. Someone once told me that it's because they are native to areas with a very thin topsoil, so they have roots that travel far to firmly anchor. Them when they grow... and that makes as much sense as anything... it does look bizarre though... usually thetes no harm inn trimming them off if they bother you...

KEEP READING - MORE GREAT STUFF IN OLDER POSTS