March 14, 2010

My biodynamic calendar says I missed tomato and pepper sowing dates again

My biodynamic calendar tells me, that I have missed again the dates of sowing tomatoes and capsicums. I really regret it - next preferable time will not come before 20th of march. For tomatoes in my zone it is fine, but it will be little late for capsicums - but not too late. Last year, at this time my Scotch Bonnet hot pepper sprouted already.

But if I want, I can still sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground: lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, sprouts, sweetcorn, cucumber, grains.
I made it one week ago on my windowsill, so no need for that.
I started cabbage Dietmarscher fruher, the earliest cabbage I could get - it is ready to harvest after 50-55 days - and card (Cynara cardunculus).

As probably you know I garden naturally - without pesticides - in such gardens biodynamic processes are more visible - in the gardens where "cannons are used against sparrows" the difference will be difficult to spot. "Cannons against sparrows" - this way described, you may visualize the impact of pestides to your garden.

I made 2 gardening resolutions for 2010:

1/ This year I will spend more time in my experimental vegetable garden and grow more edible plant - this is really exciting to grow food by yourself! And I will use biodynamic calendar to follow the dates of sowing, maintenance and harvesting.

2/ Current plants in my garden will be closely watched and examined if they follow the rule of having more than one use in the garden. If they don't, they will be first to consider for replacement. OK guys, I didn't decide to turn my garden fully to orchard and vegetable garden, I only want to have better blend of planting.

Recently I found really inspiring videos on youtube that are worth to see. Youtube is full of crap, but among this huge pile of videos, there are real pearls to find. See the pearls I fouund:







Do you grow food in your garden?

5 comments:

Randi said...

Wow...that sounds serious! I garden naturally too and I have a kitchen garden, which I love to experiment in, but I have never followed this calendar. I will study it now. Thanks for sharing!
/Randi

AJ at OFLBlog said...

It is still quite cold where I live, particularly because we are right on a large lake, which is still frozen solid, and it keeps the shore plants asleep a lot longer than further in the mainland. The payoff is that we have a longer fall because the then-warm lake keeps the shore awake for a some weeks longer....I had never heard of the biodynamic calendar as being relevant to plants and now I will learn more about it....It's too early to sow indoors here..the seedlings would get too long and spingly before I am ready to put them in the soil but I am growing some garlic chives inside...oxo from Ontario, Canada

Meredith said...

Hi, Ewa. I mostly grow food in my garden, and this year I'm trying to put in a few more flowers and things just for beauty. :) Wonderful video selection, I enjoyed watching those two.

I've never followed a biodynamic calendar for sowing. Maybe you could explain it in a future post for those of us who don't know what it is?

M@M aka VP ;) said...

Hi Ewa - I grow lots of food as I have my own allotment. I don't follow the biodynamic methos though, so I'll be interested to see how you get on.

You left a comment about when to post about Malvern. I've no preference re day as long as it's on or before March 31st. Just let me know when your post goes up so that I can link to it. I'm doing a general news round up tomorrow and you're mentioned. I've urged those people who don't know you already to come over for a visit and say hello :)

Flower Donegal said...

Pretty decent videos
I am from Ireland so I always get excited about finding little nuggets of info.
Thanks for the youtube links

Aanee xxx
Flowers shop

KEEP READING - MORE GREAT STUFF IN OLDER POSTS